As most of you know, I have been an in home tutor for almost a year. I have enjoyed it immensely. The schedule is flexible and I can be home being a mommy in the day time and work in the evening. I have 5 students. Each is as different as can be. I have two 9th graders, a 7th, 6th, and a 4th grader. It has been frustrating at times. Some days I feel like I’m busting my head against the pavement or talking to a brick wall. But in all its trials, it has also been very rewarding. While I went to school to teach only Social Sciences, I have learned how to teach all curriculums. Who would have thought that I could teach math? Honestly.
I try to instill a sense of responsibility in my students. While I can help them achieve their goals, it is important that they take their education into their own hands. They are responsible for what they learn and what grade they earn. It is a hard lesson to be taught, for some more than others. They get so much more satisfaction from their work when they comprehend this lesson. Their confidence goes up, and school becomes less of a chore.
The following link is a testimonial from one of my student’s grandfathers. If you go to the website for the company that I work for, it is the only testimonial on the site. Needless to say, it boosted my ego. I don’t normally toot my own horn, but sometimes, I rock.
I whole heartly agree with boosting one's ego. It gets battered enough anyway.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're awesome for being so amazing. :)